Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Update

Okay so sometimes it is soo hard to update. This past weekend was rotary weekend. We were stationed in the town of Huy (pronouced like weeee except you don´t draw it out so I guess it is just we. hmm) Any way the building that we stayed in was super hot and it didnùt help that there was a lot of people. After hours of talking about rules that everyone already knew we took a long (and really pointless) walk and we ended up right where we started. But then we ate alot so I guess we worked of dessert. I talked to some pretty cool people on this walk and we made fun of a random couple kissing and kept staring at them. It was fun! Then later there was this really sweet party. The rotary people (bless them) actually hired dj´s and it being Belgium (and rotary) there was beer. WHAT IS IT WITH THIS COUNTRY!!!!!???????? Always with the beer. But of course all drinking was definately within very small limits. So this party/dance/rave started at 8 or 9 and ended about 12 and I finally went to sleep at 1. And so the next day we have to wake up at about 7 (fun fun...) and go over a few more rules. Then we ate some food (the fish was digusting...) with our host parents. After that we all (host parents too!) walk to this building that has an auditorium and they have this long presentation and because of course it was in French and (you may not know this) I don´t speak French I fell asleep. more than once. Then my host mom took me and Helena (canadian exchange student) home. Then I slept some more. Then Monday and Tuesday I didn´t do too much except the running club.
The running club was interesting and different then the states of course. But Rachel (a new zealander who has been here since January) was there and sometimes she helped translate. I ran probably 4 miles.
Then today, Wednesday, was my first day of school. Here in Europe they have half days on Wednesday. I only went to English class and my teacher was really cool (she speaks with a British accent because that´s how she learned it ((It´s so cute!))) Then after that I didn´have any classes but I couldn´t leave the school yet. So I went down to the library and the Librarian taught me words that I had known since almost the dawn of time. But I smiled and pretended I had never come across these words. Then I made her show me the books in English. Here exchange students tend to trade books with each other because it is hard to bring alot of books. Then Rachel came and we hung out. And so did Carissa (another canadian) After school, we met with a bunch of other exchange students at a cafe and hung out for a long time. Today was really my first experience with public transportation but I really liked it. Its so confusing though.

So overall, I think I have had a pretty productive week. Oh and I had a pita... which is really tasty.
I love you guys.
Alison

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

any new pictures?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having a good time and, hopefully,learning a lot about other cultures. Sure do miss you, though, even though we didn't see you that often.

Casey and Justin are here now, so I guess she's the replacement granddaughter for a couple of months.

Love you,
Grandma

Amanda said...

Sounds like there are many Canadians...
Don't be mean to kissing people!!!!!!! ^_~
Annnnnnnnd anyway I have lots to say but I cannot for apparently, me being awake at night-timey hours is very very bad and could be locked in Castle Anthrax forever and ever unless I get better sleeping hours, so now, I must flee, to excape my impending peril... ^^

I miss you still! Tommorrow I'll try to fill you in on huge long updates n stuff! Hugs n love~!

Amanda said...

I'll post again tomorrow so I don't want you to feel bad and cry from loss n stuff ^_~

Amanda said...

Sooooooooooooooooo,
How are you?
Now, in Drama, we are most likely gonna do Little Women, or The Crucible, if we can get someone manly enough to be John Prockner (or something). That plays about the Salem Witch trails!
Belgium drinks a lot methinks.
We're reading the Scarlet Letter! They use words like perchance!
I ate a whole lot of Mimi's food and now my stomach is sticking so far out I look like Juno so I gotta go lie down and wait for this food baby to go away so I can eat some kettle corn ^_~